[time-nuts] New frequency standard, Mercury better than Cesium?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 20:16:04 EDT 2006

Hi Chuck,

yes, all test equipment is excempt from RoHS, until between 2009 -  2011.
Europe is not sure how long they will keep this exemption in  effect.

There are so many legacy products that are vital to the industry and that
will not be re-designed that I think the exemptions will continue beyond  that.

Doing Lead-free has many reliability issues, let me just mention shorts
caused by tin-whiskers, and the problems of visually identifying a cold-solder
joint... The assembly houses I have talked to hate doing lead free work for
critical, expensive items.

How much test equipment ends in a land fill? Probably not too much due to
all of the gold used in it, the collectors' value etc.

Also, who is going to test all the products for compliance? It's probably
very easy to get away with not complying. I would guess this will happen to a
lot of products made in China...

bye,
Said