[time-nuts] Cesium lockup

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sat Jul 22 04:57:07 EDT 2006

From: "Bill Hawkins" <bill at iaxs.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Cesium lockup
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:31:01 -0500

> Magnus,

Bill,

> Congratulations.

Thanks,

> You have moved closer to the goal that motivates
> us all, knowing the exact time to 10E-6 times less than human
> wetware is capable of comprehending, or is that 10E-12.

I'm taking a few tumbling steps forward as I go. ;O)

> It is remarkable that we are able to measure time to far more
> precision than we can measure physical things, especially since
> post-modern science suggests that time doesn't exist. But then,
> post-modern pushes the envelope beyond all reasonable dimensions.

Just because they can't model time they propose it's not real. On the other
hand it is the measure we can measure with the highest accuracy of all measures
and still we know it is being affected by a number of things (relative theory).

When we measure those GPS (and GLONASS) satelites we actually have a
compensation for the relative theory, since the gravity force difference
causes a different time-rate, the satelite is tuned a thad low since when they
get up that will be just right.

> No criticism intended - I have enjoyed and learned from your postings.

No criticism sensed, rather some food for thought. Thanks for the kind words!

BTW. I was just down in the lab checking the readings during the night, and it
keeps running smoothly.

I need to log this beast from my servers rather than having my laptop locked up
to it. Ah well. In the same fashion I'm planning to have my APC UPS (I only
need to solder the cable) and my Z3801 hooked up (using a propper cable). But
then I've run out of serial ports, so I need to get one of those USB serial
port dongles. I have some of the old and nasty serial boards, but I don't want
to fiddle around with it. I have some old PCI cards with an FPGA in it, that
might be just the right thing.

Cheers,
Magnus