[time-nuts] Z3801 lockin behaviour

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sun Jul 23 19:55:52 EDT 2006

Hi!

I have powered up my Z3801A and monitored the 10 MHz on a counter (with fancy
histogram and statistics) with the Cs as reference. The Z3801 is moving around
quite a bit and the SatStat shows that it hasn't really converged towards
precission (the 24h time error prediction). Infact, it drops out of lock into
holdover every now and then. When it jumps in or out of hold over, a "large"
(50 mHz) frequency jump is clearly vissible. I have about 1 mHz of Allan
Deviation and about 4 in Standard Deviation.

I have made comperative measurements of my counter setup by hooking it up to my
Rb, and that is noticeably lower in noise.

Is this to be expected or not?

Any thoughts & recommendations?

Cheers,
Magnus