[time-nuts] Telecom Solutions DCD Cesium

Robert Lutwak Lutwak at Alum.mit.edu
Sun Mar 19 07:34:43 EST 2006

Monitor3 will periodically poll and save the status data to disk for you.
See the File->Unit Monitoring Panel.  It also has some very cool
plotting/analysis features (try View->Plot).  You can learn a lot about your
unit by watching the dynamics of the boot sequence.  Grab the data to disk
with Monitor3 and go back and look at the plots.

The old modules were 5045, which was later renamed 4201A.  Some of the last
modules (maybe >2004) were named 4201B and had a new CsIII-based servo
board.  Also, if you get a 4201A serviced, depending on the failure, they
may upgrade the servo to a 4201B servo board.  Monitor3 can tell them apart.
Also the servo boards have different part numbers and the new one (4201B)
has a big Xilinx CPLD hanging off the microprocessor.

I'm not sure how much of Monitor3 will work with your older unit.  I wrote
it to work with the new CsIII-based units and later went back and cobbled in
support for the old 5045/4201A instruments for the guys in technical
service.  The telemetry was originally designed to work with a dedicated
stand-alone Sercel terminal (which has been obsolete for at least 15 years).
The old Monitor program (which you may be able to find out there somewhere
in cyberspace) only ran in a terminal emulator which only ran on native DOS
machines, i.e. it wouldn't run in a DOS window under Windows, because it did
low-level serial port control.

I think Monitor3's serial port control functions should work with your 5045,
so if you get tired of 2400 baud, you should be able to crank it up to 9600
from the System->RS232 menu.

In order to get the 03 alarm, you must have made it through all of the
earlier boot sequence, so you must have plenty of signal level, good
microwaves, etc.  Without more information I would guess that your unit
either:
a)  Problem in C-field control circuit such that DAC is demanding more
current but atoms don't seem to respond.
b)  Short in one (or more) of the coils inside the tube so that current
control gets to limit without locking
c)  Tube has become magnetized so the Zeeman line asymmetry is big enough
that it tries to lock on the wrong peak.

Watch the "Zeeman Signal Level" during boot (before it throws the alarm).
It should be about the same as the "Clock Signal Level."  If it's much lower
(in the neighborhood of zero), than you've got no C-Field in the tube,
either the supply is failed or the coils are shorted out (badly).

If you have Zeeman Signal, next watch the "Zeeman Rabi Innovation" during
boot.  After the clock's done initializing the clock and gain servos, it'll
try to acquire lock on Rabi Zeeman.  You should see this number start
relatively high (maybe a couple of hundred either +/-) and then you should
see the "C-field current" and the "current-control voltage" change as Zeeman
Rabi is driven to zero.  If this succeeds, than all of your electronics (and
most of your tube) is working fine.

Once it acquires lock on Zeeman Rabi, it'll try to hone in on "Zeeman
Ramsey."  You'll see the Zeeman Ramsey error suddenly appear (at probably
+/- 500 or so).  Then the C-field current will keep changing to try to drive
this one to zero.  If all is well, this is the final step of lock.  If the
tube is magnetized, enough that you try to lock to the wrong Zeeman Ramsey
peak, you will see the Zeeman Rabi Innovation start to creep back upwards as
you hone in on (the wrong) Zeeman Ramsey.  In this state, it will eventually
kick out an 03 alarm, and possibly an 05 as well.  This is typically caused
by exposure to high magnetic fields and is fixed by degaussing the tube.

By the way, we just finished re-writing the manuals for the CsIII and
Cs4000.  The new manuals include a new Theory-of-Operation section (by me),
which you may find useful.  It's not the same electronics as your 5045, but
the physics and the CBT are the same.  You can get the manuals off the symm
WWW site.

-RL

Robert Lutwak, Senior Scientist
Symmetricom - Technology Realization Center
34 Tozer Rd.
Beverly, MA 01915
(978) 232-1461   Voice           RLutwak at Symmetricom.com   (Business)
(978) 927-4099   FAX             Lutwak at Alum.MIT.edu  (Personal)
(339) 927-7896   Mobile