[time-nuts] Are there limits to the accuracy of clocks?

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Wed Mar 29 03:20:44 EST 2006

Daniel Kleppner's "Time Too Good To Be True" article in Physics Today said that atomic clocks have been getting better by a factor of 10 every decade for the past 50 years.
    http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-59/iss-3/p10.html
    http://www.timing-consultants.com/images/App%20notes/vol59no3p10_11.pdf
Thanks to Rob Kimberley for telling me/us about that article.  It's a really neat article if anybody hasn't read it yet.

Are there any known/predicted bumps in the road?  Is there some physical limit?  What happens after atomic clocks?  ...

Does anybody have a list of all the "limits" for silicon chips or magnetic recording that have come and gone?

Does Heisenberg get involved?  If so, how far are we from being able to notice it?  How would a timekeeper state the basic idea?  I'm fishing for something like "If you know the time you don't know where you are."