[time-nuts] Are there limits to the accuracy of clocks?

Alberto di Bene dibene at usa.net
Wed Mar 29 09:55:47 EST 2006

Hal Murray wrote:

> Does Heisenberg get involved?  If so, how far are we from being able to notice it?
 > How would a timekeeper state the basic idea?
 > I'm fishing for something like "If you know the time you don't know where you are."

The "observable" paired with time is Energy, not position.
Delta(E) * Delta(t) <= h_bar  where h_bar is the Plancks's constant.divided by 2 * pi.

So you can violate the law of conservation of energy, provided that the violation lasts for a short time, in agreement
with the above inequality.

73  Alberto  I2PHD