[time-nuts] GPS timing recievers and INTERFERENCE

Randy Warner Randy at synergy-gps.com
Wed May 3 14:19:24 EDT 2006

James,

It really comes down to clock speed on the receiver. We haven't noted
much of a change in accuracy since SA was turned off because other
factors cause much more error that SA ever did so long as you are
tracking enough satellites to average everything out.

Everything else being equal (meaning no firmware anomalies...), an M12+T
will be about 3 times better jitter-wise than the UT+ simply because the
M12+T's clock runs at a higher frequency and the fact that the M12+T is
able to place the 1PPS on BOTH the rising and falling edges of the
clock. This is where the sawtooth correction comes in. Basically, all
the sawtooth is telling you is that if the receiver had a clock rate of
infinity it would place the 1PPS as close to the top of the UTC second
as firmware and other system variables allow. Since it is limited to
clock edges you end up with the "granularity" that the sawtooth
displays. Rick ran three of the newest M12+T's for Motorola and us at
USNO and Motorola modified the code as necessary to place the 1PPS from
the M12+T right on top of the UTC second. As I recall, the UT+'s had
about a 100ns offset.

The +/-10ns jitter you are seeing is typical for the M12+. Again, it is
related to clock frequency. There really is no magic at work here. Rick
has come up with some tricky stuff that allows him to increase the
resolution (decrease the granularity) and thus shave some nanoseconds
from the jitter.

Randy