Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Wed May 17 22:26:36 EDT 2006

> Looking to get good colour photos of some of these
> older HP counters (and similar offerings from other
> manufacturers) in the pre/early Nixie etc period.

Much of that kind of material is in Agilent's archive.  I think the Agilent
research library (in Palo Alto, CA) might be of some help.

There's a fabulous picture in labstock here at HP Labs of Bill and Dave
reviewing the production line for some older nixie tube counters. In the
background of the picture are racks and racks of counters, presumably being
burned in.  I think I recognize a 5246L.

Next time I get over to corporate(*) and remember (two rare events), I'll
ask the HP archivist if there's a high quality scan of that picture
available -- they have the originals and copies of most of the pictures of
the founders.

-ch

(*) I was over there today to give a presentation to HP's Board of
Directors.  Luckily it went well and I am still employed.  :-)