[time-nuts] Earth: An Oscillator and Frequency Standard

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sun Nov 5 15:55:06 EST 2006

Brooke,

I proposed a platform driven by a synchronous motor referred
to a cesium standard. On this platform is an arrangement to
project an attenuated image of the sun onto a mirror that is
attached to a galvanometer. Light-beam galvos used this kind
of arrangement. The mirror projects the solar image onto a split
detector, such that the output of two photocells cancels when the
image is centered. The detector drives a servo to keep the image
centered using the mirror galvanometer. You'll also need a vertical
servo to track the sun through the day.

The signal to the galvo is proportional to the deviation of the
suns image. Remove the equation of time (a few percent) and you
have the deviation from solar time. Do a lot of these and you
can apply statistical methods to find the Earth's wobbles.

Sounds like great fun, but beyond my capabilities. A rotating
platform with no error in angles, for instance. A clear field
of view, for another.

Regards,
Bill Hawkins