[time-nuts] HP 5060A option 004

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Nov 6 05:31:45 EST 2006

From: Robert_Deliën <robert at delien.nl>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] HP 5060A option 004
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:14:40 +0100

> > The military radio guys tell me that every service depot
> > had a collection of dogs that couldn't be fixed. The dogs
> > were identifiable because they were missing so many parts
> > that were used to fix other equipment.
>
> These units originate from a German network operator (Deutsche Telekom). They were either replaced or obsolete. The guy who bought them at the wholesale stripped out the crystal ovens because he thought they would still make pretty stable oscillators on their own.

Sigh. Have you enlighened him (to protect equipment in the future) or have you
just avoided further discussions with him?

The only atomic standards which would possibly behave like that is active
hydrogen masers, and then only possibly, but I rate it unlikely.

Enlight him if it hasn't been done that removing the crystal ovens out of any
atomic standard is making it worthless, since it is part of the control loop.
IMHO he should also send you the removed pieces, but that is another matter.

Cheers,
Magnus