[time-nuts] Blackout in Europe and power line frequency jump

Marco IK1ODO IK1ODO at spin-it.com
Mon Nov 6 16:27:46 EST 2006

Saturday evening part of Europe experienced a blackout, caused, it
seems, by a single failure in Northern Germany, then propagated up to
southern Italy.

A friend that routinely monitors the 0-120Hz ULF/ELF frequency
spectrum captured the power line frequency jump following the fault.
Hre are the links:

>Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 13:08:40 +0100
>To: ulfelf at yahoogroups.com
>From: Renato Romero <ik1qfk at vlf.it>
>Subject: Overload in Germany's power network
>
> From BBC web site 06 Nov/06:
>"An overload in Germany's power network triggered outages leaving
>millions without electricity on Saturday night."
>
>Here my ELF monitoring from Cumiana (NW Italy)
>
>http://www.vlf.it/temp/05NOV06-0000_E.jpg
>Spectrogram by a geophone (up) and electric field (down)
>
>http://www.vlf.it/temp/05NOV06-0000_H-rdf.jpg
>RDF spectrogram, magnetic component, acquired with two orthogonal minimal loop
>
>http://www.vlf.it/temp/fault.jpg
>Details of the fault: power network frequency get down to 49 Hz for
>many minutes,
>
>http://www.vlf.it/temp/fault_timeb.jpg
>Details in the time domain, about 240 mS showed
>

>73, de ik1qfk
>Renato Romero

Renato told me that during the frequency jump a faint 50Hz line was
still present. Possibly some part of the network that had detached
from the rest, or is the Russian network not interconnected with the
European Union?

Marco IK1ODO