[time-nuts] Frequency processing scheme of HP5065vapourrubidium standard

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Tue Nov 7 13:40:06 EST 2006

> Seems very interesing!!!
>
> If i'm right, That could lead to rubidium based
> primary standards...
>
> Normand Martel

Hi Normand,

There are many factors which pull cesium too; and if
you want to get technical the actual frequency inside a
typical cesium standard, even at sea-level, isn't exactly
9 192 631 770 Hz anyway.

To see a very detailed list of pulling and corrections of
a cesium standard read something like this:

Accuracy evaluation of the primary frequency standard NIST-
http://www.tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/1497.pdf

I think you will be very surprised as how complicated
it really is to make a good frequency standard. See also
this vintage, but more readable, less technical description:

HP 5062C Cesium Beam Frequency Reference, Theory of Operation
http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/hp5062c/theory.htm

Finally, if you'd like to read about current developments
in rubidium fountains, a good example is found here:

The USNO Rubidium Fountain Project
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/clockdev/RubidiumFountain.html

For technical details google for rubidium fountain.

Still, optical clocks are the ones likely to succeed cesium
in the coming decade. It seems several times a year there
are new breakthroughs with optical clocks. For example:

Mercury Atomic Clock Keeps Time with Record Accuracy
http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/releases/mercury_atomic_clock.htm

/tvb

Let me also repeat this posting from last week: