[time-nuts] GMT vs. UTC

Magne Mæhre magne at samfundet.no
Mon Nov 20 15:36:31 EST 2006

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> The question relates to weither GMT and UTC is the same time-scale or not.
> If they are not, what is the difference? Where would I find any authority
> information showing that they are the same or are not the same.
>
> Now, if you would write law, which one would you use, GMT or UTC?
> Personally, I would go for UTC (since I understand its connection to TAI).
> GMT? I am not sure.

Hi Magnus.
Since you're probably in Sweden, it may be relevant to look at SFS
1979:988, which defines Swedish Standard Time (in short, it is defined
to be UTC + 1 hour)

The swedish national time scale (UTC(SP)) is maintained by Sveriges
Provnings- och Forskningsinstitut (SP).  See link below.

For a introduction to the difference between UTC, GMT, UT0, UT1 etc. , I
suggest the wikipedia article on UTC. Link below.

SFS1979:988 : http://www.notisum.se/rnp/sls/lag/19790988.HTM
SP : http://www.sp.se/metrology/timefreq/eng/time_keeping.htm
Wikipedia UTC : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

--Magne