[time-nuts] GMT vs. UTC

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Wed Nov 22 04:02:41 EST 2006

From: James Maynard <james.h.maynard at usa.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GMT vs. UTC
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:31:00 -0800

> Magnus Danielson wrote:
>
> > I would feel more comfortable if I knew that the official time (and those the
> > legal time) would be some 1h multiple of UTC and that this 1h multiple is
> > precisely defined for normal and summer time.
>
> It all depends on your local time zone.  Not all time zones are offset
> from UTC by integral multiples of 1 h.

I know. I was a bit provocative there. UTC + any fixed offset (with or without
standard/summer time shifts) would do, as long as the offset and standard/
summer time shifts is defined. The point is that it is UTC based and not some
other time.

Infact, NPL had some interesting wording relating to MSF and shift between
standard and summer time.

Cheers,
Magnus