[time-nuts] On some pitfalls of the dual mixer time differencemethod of h...

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Oct 2 05:31:30 EDT 2006

> M. Warner Losh wrote:
>> In message: <45204E7A.8020406 at xtra.co.nz>
>>             Dr Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz> writes:
>> : The Allan deviation of current state of the art cryogenic sapphire
>> : oscillators is more than an order of magnitude lower than the noise
>> : floor of these instruments.
>>
>> I'm curious.  How much does one of these oscillators cost?
>>
>> Warner

These devices usually operate at around 11GHz in temperature controlled
Liquid helium cryostats and are not produced commercially they are
custom built.
The University of Western Australia has built some of the best examples
of these devices.
http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0608/0608124.pdf#search=%22hydrogen%20maser%20Kvarz%22

http://www.fsm.physics.uwa.edu.au/History.html

Lower Q room temperature microwave whispering Gallery sapphire resonator
oscillators are available commercially.

http://www.psi.com.au/

Bruce