[time-nuts] HP 5370A

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sun Oct 15 10:46:00 EDT 2006

Bruce,

Thanks for the explanation, and you were right on the money. It looked
like one of the tuning caps was open, funny that it resonated so close
to 30 MHz. I reflowed the solder joints on the two 500pF capacitors
(even though they looked fine under the magnifier) and voila, Bob's your
uncle!

These look like silver-mica capacitors, and I have seen solder joint
problems develop with those before. I may look inside the unit for more
caps like that and reflow them too.

Picture is at
http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/HP5370A_ref_output_good.jpg

Output is now a clean 4V p-p at 10 MHz, instead of 900mV at 30 MHz.

Thanks,

Didier KO4BB

PS: The card edge connectors on this unit are extremely tight. I
"easily" broke one of the extractor on the CPU card, and the ROM card
was also extremely hard to pull (I did not even try to use the
extractors). The A8 reference assembly, even though it has only a
single, rather small connector, was the hardest!!!

PPS: The A8 card had quite a bit of hard dust on its solder side, but
it's right in front of the fan, so it's not unexpected. I was actually
surprised to see so little dust inside the unit, even though it does not
look like it's been cleaned, or if it has, it was a while back because
the dust was very much encrusted. The front panel had the same type of
hard dust on it, but it cleaned easily with alcohol and now looks great.
Maybe I have been lucky and got a low hours unit. It even came with the
feet, handles and rack kit, and I only had to drive 40 miles to pick it up!