[time-nuts] ARRL 2006 Frequency Measuring Test

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Wed Oct 18 17:00:29 EDT 2006

> You might also be interested in the 2005 analysis page (linked from
> the  URL above) -- some statistical analysis indicates that W1AW was
> actually  about 0.4 Hz off in the frequency they reported on 160M.

What are the theoretical limits?

If I only have N seconds of a signal, that sets a lower limit on the
bandwidth as the signal has to turn on and back off.  Is there a simple
rule-of-thumb?  Is it seconds or cycles that matters?  (Does it scale by the
frequency?)

How stable in the atmosphere?  If the propagation path changes during a
measurement the receiver will see a Doppler shifted version of the signal.