[time-nuts] Allan deviation -> finally some data!!!

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Oct 25 19:24:30 EDT 2006

Bruce,

Sorry that I did not specify the setup was the same as when described in
the post about the trigger outputs, as follows:

It is obvious I am measuring half the period of the 10 MHz signal, give
or take the differential error due to the triggers not being perfectly
symetrical, instead of measuring the difference between the 2 time bases.

I guess that brings me back to my first question about the need for
proper procedure. Did not realize it would be back so soon :-)

Since I have only one readily accessible spare OCXO at the moment and I
want to get the procedure right before I take anything else apart, I
will feed the output of the 10 MHz reference from the 5370 into the
START channel, and my DUT into the STOP channel and select SEP instead
of START COM.

I believe that once I have the setup correct, I will rapidly find that I
need dividers on both OCXOs... 10 MHz will be too fast and I will be
skipping periods rapidly.

The easiest from there will probably be to hook up the GPS into the
START channel, and a divided down 10 kHz or 1 kHz on the STOP channel.

Maybe I can close the loop using the PC, driving the EFC input of the
OCXO from the serial port. That would allow me to conveniently adjust
the loop parameters.

I will report again when that is straightened. Sorry for the bandwidth.
At least, my logging program works :-)

Didier