[time-nuts] Can anyone help?

ABSA Email galpinp at absamail.co.za
Sat Oct 28 12:32:03 EDT 2006

Hi there,
I need some advice.
I'm not into the nano-second accuracy region, so this could well be
considered OT.

1. I have a Gent's mechanical clock, and I check it by my computer clock. To
set the computer clock, I use the built-in synchronisation to
time.windows.com, or time.nist.gov.  How accurate can this be by the time
that the synchronising signal reaches my computer in South Africa?  Are
there any time stations nearer to me than USA? Does the time signal update
itself as it travels the Internet to me?

2. This is for frequency measurement. Can anyone recommend a divide-by-ten
counter to use as a pre-scaler up to 500 MHZ?

Paul Galpin
South Africa