[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system forRF devices.

Bob Paddock bob.paddock at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 14:04:52 EDT 2007

On Sunday 01 April 2007 11:30, Chuck Harris wrote:

> Metric vs. English has nothing to do with making things easier, but
> rather has everything to do with which arbitrary constants you prefer.

Here is a question that has nagged me for years, but first
the background:

When I was in school getting my degree, I had a Physics
teacher that gave all of  his lectures in the Metric System.
The book covered nothing but the Metric System.
All of the tests he gave where in the *English* system!
Conversions where never mentioned, *anyplace*.
Everyone failed the first test.
[This kind of #)$*#$* in schools,
 is the kind of thing that makes be believe
 in Home Schooling.]

The one good thing to come out of that (?), is everyone in class learned
to  paying attention to the 'Units'.

In the English System the unit of Weight is the Pound.
The unit of Mass is the Slug.
In the Metric System the unit of Weight is the Newton.
The unit of Mass is the (Kilo)Gram.

So why does this box of cereal (first thing at hand with label)
say "10 Oz (284g)".  All of these dual unit labels
are comparing weight vs mass.  Why?

I'm sure virtually all Americans think the Gram is a
unit of weight.

--
 http://www.softwaresafety.net/ http://www.designer-iii.com/
                 http://www.unusualresearch.com/