[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system forRF devices.

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Apr 1 14:14:02 EDT 2007

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <460FD021.9000401 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:
>
>> We can play that game Poul-Henning, by using joules, one thing becomes easy,
>> and another becomes hard, but in the end, you always have to return to remembering
>> arbitrary constants.
>
> That's likely to be a matter of fact for any universe :-)
>
>> How many joules does it take to heat up one gram of water 1C ?
>> With calories it is easy: 1 calorie.
>
> Right, so it's easy for water, but what about gasoline ?

Somehow, someway, it all comes down to the same thing.  Celsius
was designed around the freezing and boiling points of water.  One
should expect that other things like calories, which are also defined
around water, should be easier.... gasoline will require you to know
a constant.

> I far prefer to be able to convert effortlessly between units, than to
> embedd arbitrary material properties in my measurement units.

It would have been just as easy to achieve this simplicity with a metric
system based on pounds, inches and seconds... It wouldn't have been French,
but it would have been just as easy.

-Chuck Harris