[time-nuts] NavSync CW46 Module

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 4 08:48:10 EDT 2007

Darrell Robinson wrote:
> In the January 2007 issue of Microwaves & RF magazine I see a paragraph or two about a GPS disciplined frequency source.
> The company is NavSync and the module is part number CW46.  The stated price is $176 if you are buying 1000 of them.
> I don't know what one unit would cost, ($220?) but the price seems very reasonable to me for what it does.
> As a newbie to this, I would like to read comments as to whether this is a good way to go for an accurate 10MHz source.
> I'm looking to get +- 1 Hz at 1GHz. Their website is at www.navsync.com.
>
> Thanks in advance - Darrell

Darrell

This module uses a numerically controlled oscillator (NCO) to produce
the 10MHz output frequency.
An NCO has lots of output jitter and corresponding phase noise. It is
necessary to use a PLL and a low noise OCXO to cleanup the output signal
before it is of much use as a frequency standard for RF applications.
The resultant circuit is probably no less complex than the traditional
approach of locking an OCXO to a timing receiver's PPS output.

Bruce