[time-nuts] Setting Osc Frequencies

Dave Brown tractorb at ihug.co.nz
Mon Apr 9 09:42:53 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr Bruce Griffiths" <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
<time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Setting Osc Frequencies

> Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>> Lars Karlsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Bruce-
>>>
>>> There is a minor problem in the schematic. A capacitor have to be
>>> added
>>> between R103 and R104. This will prevent the bias on pin 3 from
>>> being shorted to the ground via R101 and R102.  Also, C103 is not
>>> required
>>> as long as the diodes stays connected to R103.
>>>
>>> Lars
>>>
>>> PS
>>> Interesting to see the "revised phase comparator" I will implement
>>> it into a CPLD to find out what the maximum speed will be.
>>
> Lars
>
> Oops!
> R101 and R102 should have been on the other side of the capacitors
> (C101
> + C102) as in the revised schematic attached.
> This is the way its done in the K34-5991. It looks a little strange
> but
> works well (Both for HP and even when simulated using the transient
> analysis option in pSpice).
> The 50 ohm termination was an option in the K34-5991, R101 and R102
> have
> a fairly high (1W each) dissipation with 10V rms input.
> Dissipation in R103 is also fairly high at 220mW or so with a 10V
> rms
> input.
>
> If a minicircuits RF transformer were used at the input, the input
> voltage would be limited to about 3.5Vrms and the lower frequency
> limit
> to about 100KHz or so.
> To match the input specifications as the K34-5991 the HP style input
> is
> required.
>
> NB when implemented in a CPLD, I would use the Q output of U101A as
> synchronous enable for U103A, U103B U105A U105B U104B and U106B and
> clock these directly from CLKB. I didn't do in the 74CX version as
> suitable devices aren't readily available and adding extra gates to
> the
> JK inputs of a JK flipflop would add complexity and slow the circuit
> down. In a CPLD this method only requires 2 clock inputs (CLKA and
> CLKB)
> and all the required gate resources are built in.
>
> One possible option if the power supply current can be kept down, is
> power the circuit from batteries.
>
> Bruce

Has there been any progress on the CPLD version of this from Lars?

And Hal- what about the pcb layout for Bruce's 74CX version? Had time
to look at it yet?

I'm looking sideways at the two old Tracor/Sultzer phase comparators
here (well- just one, really-plus most of another for spares) and
thinking maybe its time to upgrade.

DaveB, NZ