[time-nuts] Gate propagation delay jitter

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 19:42:04 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/10/2007 14:28:11 Pacific Daylight Time,
bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz writes:

Then we  would need to know/measure the jitter of the retiming flipflop.
There  appears to be little definitive published data on the jitter of
various  logic gates and flipflops.
Consequently a simple reliable method of  measuring such jitter would be
useful.

Hi Bruce,

if I remember correctly, Philips makes a special low-metastability 74 FF
chip. It has guaranteed metastability-recovery time, and seems to be the only 74
type chip out there with that claim to fame.

They really looked at the timing of that part, maybe there are some jitter
specs available, if not in the datasheet then potentially through your  local
NXP rep :)

bye,
Said