[time-nuts] How good are mechanical watches

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Sat Apr 21 00:58:44 EDT 2007

Thomas A. Frank wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2007, at 5:28 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
>

>>> John (who still wears a mechanical watch)
>>>
>> Speaking of mechanical watches...
>>
>> Does anybody make good ones anymore?
>>

> Define "good".
>
> For wrist watches, if you mean fairly accurate (blasphemy here to
> suggest only fairly, I know), yes, there are any number of makers of
> nice mechanical watches.
>
> I like Fortis.  Omega, Rolex, Brietling, there are plenty of nice
> mechanical watches - most with movements by ebauche makers Lemania or
> ETA.

My Brietling Navitimer is good for about a second a day when it's clean
- it degrades over time (about 5 years) to about 20 seconds a day then I
pay $$$ to have it cleaned and lubed and it's back at at a second a day
for a couple of years before it starts to degrade again.    I still love
it and occasionally use the circular slide rules to the amazement of
anybody under 45 (my class in the UK was the last high school class to
use slide rules and I had to use a circular one for my pilots license).

John