[time-nuts] GPS: ADEV or MDEV?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Apr 21 15:55:41 EDT 2007

> There are plenty of times when sawtooth removal would be of use/
> interest, but in a typical GPSDO which has a heap of other errors, I
> do wonder what improvements in performance would actually be seen in
> the output from the oscillator - which is all that a lot of people are
> really interrested in.

What's the time constant on the PLL filter?  How many of the other errors
will it mask?

I'd expect it to mask most of the sawtooth errors - all but the hanging
bridges that are wider than the PLL time constant.  That's what makes them so
interesting.

Has anybody gone hunting for hanging bridges to see what the statistics on
their width look like?