[time-nuts] Odd request

jmfranke jmfranke at cox.net
Sat Apr 21 20:17:54 EDT 2007

As I type this, my solenoid actuated mechanical slave clock is being driven
by my GPS receiver.  The 1PPS signal drives a two stage divide-by-sixty
counter.  The two counter stages, 7490 divide by ten and 7492 divide by
twelve used as a divide by six, are interfaced to two large Nixie tubes to
display seconds and tens of seconds respectively.  I use a 7420 four input
NAND gate to detect "59" which is output to the slave clock driver.  The
slave clock advances when the drive solenoid releases, hence it increments
at the end of the 59th second.  The output from the divider section drives
the mechanical slave clock which displays minutes and hours.  I hope to
finish breadboarding the control panel tomorrow and then start boxing up the
unit.  Now, I am just comparing the sound of the once per minute, 1PPM?,
click of the slave clock movement to the voice announcements from CHU.
Sure, it is a strange clock, but I like the mixture of mechanical, Nixie,
and GPS.

John  WA4WDL