[time-nuts] Scrambled Messages {EZGPIB & other software}

Christian Vogel vogelchr at vogel.cx
Tue Aug 21 13:58:04 EDT 2007

Executive summary: ^--- these two lines are to blame :-) ---^

Hi everyone,

the problem is with the superfluous "SAEximRunCond"-lines.
Ulrich's mailer chose to encode the Email-message in Base64, so the
message is supposed to look like this:

 > From: "Ulrich Bangert" <xxx at xxx>
 > To: "Time nuts" <time-nuts at febo.com>
 > Subject: [time-nuts] EZGPIB & other software
 >
 > SGkgZm9sa3MsCgp0aGlzIGlzIHRvIGlu... (<-- this is base64 of  "Hi
folks,...")

Now between Content-Transfer-Encoding and "SGkg..." the well-known bug
we witness on this list will insert the two lines starting with
"SAEximRUnCond...". A mail-client then tries to base64-decode this,
which in my case will make Ulrichs Email start with some interesting
looking cyrillic characters. As it's not the usual base64, I expect
mail-clients to behave strange... Without the two erroneous lines, I see
no problem with Ulrichs emails.

I hope, I could clarify a little...

    Chris