[time-nuts] GPS fadeout

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Aug 21 19:26:06 EDT 2007

I'm trying to check/debug some new software so I'm paying attention to the
output of a Garmin GPS 18 USB.

It's inside my house, not a great location.  Mostly, it works.  But every now
and then it fades out for a few minutes.

I'm only logging the data every minute or so, but I have counts of the
good/bad seconds.  On the glitch that just happened, it was going fine with 5
satellites.  Then it faded out to 0 satellites.  Two minutes later it had 5
satellites again.  The total even was under 4 minutes.

Are glitches like that common?  Does anybody have a list of what causes them?

The only thing I can think of is multipath off an airplane.  Big jets are not
uncommon overhead.  I'm ~30 miles south of SFO.