[time-nuts] HP E1938 Web Page

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Tue Aug 28 23:45:08 EDT 2007

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:28:01 EDT, SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 8/28/2007 15:06:22 Pacific Daylight Time, rexa at sonic.net
>writes:
>
>>PDF  is ok, but hard to modify without spending money (like to split  a
>>schematic between multiple 8.5 x 11 pages for  printing.)
>

>Orcad generates great schematics in PDF with Acrobat when set to 300 or
>better 600dpi. Best printed out on 11x17 on an HP 8500 in color which are
>available for around $300 used here...

Whythahell would anyone convert a nice compact and effectively infinite resolution
vector file into raster?  The file size blows up to something huge and the resolution
is then fixed at whatever DPI was chosen.  If the file needs to be rasterized for
printing then the proper place for that to be done is in the printer driver.
Presumably the printer driver writer knew how to optimize the conversion for his
hardware.

>I hear there is a public-domain PDF writer for windows that's even better
>than Acrobat.

Not even close, at least for the several that I've tried.  Ditto a couple of
commercial ones.  I despise Adobe the company and dislike the clunky and overpriced
Acrobat software but to generate nice compact 100% compliant pdfs, it's the only way
to go.

Please keep these files in vector format, if for not other reason that it bad karma
to throw away information needlessly, which is what vector/raster conversion does.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com