[time-nuts] HP E1938 Web Page

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 23:45:11 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/28/2007 19:53:06 Pacific Daylight Time,
ch at murgatroid.com writes:

>Anything else is a BAD idea.  This certainly includes any path  that results
>in JPEG of any sort, GIF, TIFF, or any other raster images  except maybe for
>thumbnails.  I don't care if your raster  compression technology is lossless;

Hi CH,

respectfully disagree: that would mean we should get out our  good-old
pen-plotters and vector-graphics displays as well? But even those  rasterize in
their DAC and Stepper-Motor resolutions...

High-resolution raster-files can guarantee that all traces in a schematic
line up, the text has the correct size and type etc, and no one in Asia is
modifying the files.

File-size is not an issue, our 5-page schematics in 600 dpi turn into a
beautiful and tiny 105 KByte PDF file that prints perfectly  even on D-Size paper.
105KB is probably less space than an  embedded font would take.

Especially for schematics run-length coding works wonders on raster  files.

bye,
Said