[time-nuts] Of rubidium life and piggy-bank anemia....

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Dec 1 01:39:51 EST 2007

> So use  a gate array to implement a multichannel time stamp device.

FPGA development boards are readily available and some people consider the
price within range.

Would digital inputs be good enough?  Suppose you feed several 10 MHz signals
into a FPGA and program it so each input signal drives a counter.  Ignoring
implementation details like synchronization, is that good enough to be
interesting?  I'm assuming you have a PC that grabs all the counters every N
ticks/seconds/hours/whatever.

Note that there is another clock involved.  It's the one driving the FPGA or
PC.

How much would it help if there was an A/D on each input channel and the FPGA
could capture a dozen samples on each signal around the time that it latches
a copy the counters?