[time-nuts] HP 5061A Info requested

service at frequencystandards.com service at frequencystandards.com
Sat Dec 1 03:28:14 EST 2007

Hi Dennis,I would be glad to help you trouble shoot your 5061. I am out of
the office on vacation until next Tuesday but can get you started on a few
things. I don't have a spare copy of the 5061B manual but I believe
someone said there is a copy on the Agilent web site archives of manuals.
Unfortunately, not being in the office, I can't tell you off the top of my
head what the web site url is.
     When you said it doesn't power up, do you mean that you have turned
the meter position to supply and battery and they both read zero? I
will assume for now that this is the situation. If true, first
disconnect the internal battery if it has one. There is a plug on the
A17 board to do this. Now, on the same board, check the voltage on
the 18.7 test point and the 33V test point. If you look in your 5061A
manual, the A17 board is the same board in both versions. A few
different test points but located tha same place and looks almost the
same. (I am assuming here that you have already checked your rear
panel fuses.)
If you have 18.7 volts within a few tenths of a volt, and 33 volts within
a couple of volts, your main power supply board is probably all ok and
your problem is somewhere else.
     It's crucial at this point to know exactly what the unit is doing
though. I am going to wait for your reply before going further since
I can write a lot that would be irrelevant depending on your actual
symptoms and not my guessing.
    Can't guarantee I wil get back to you within a day but will try. Had
to sneak in and check email after my wife and family went to bed. It's
1 am now so probably wont be able to get back on till early Sunday
morning.
Chuck Norton