[time-nuts] Of rubidium life and piggy-bank anemia....

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Dec 1 14:19:55 EST 2007

> You don't actually require a latch for each input as long as flag bits
> (one per input channel) are used to denote which transitions occurred
> at the latched count.

A handful of 64 bit counters is not a big deal in modern FPGAs.

> I think there may still be a problem if you only have one counter
> latch and a tag to indicate which input's data is in the latch, aside
> from metastability issues. If two of the signals you want to compare
> are very close in timing, there may not be enough time for the
> processing logic to collect the data from the first pulse before the
> second one comes along.

The standard solution for that sort of problem is a small buffer.

The worst case is that all the input signals tick in sequential cycles so the
PC doesn't have a chance to grab any of the data.  For that, you need one
slot in the buffer for each input signal.

Consider the alternative of a counter per input signal.  It also needs a
buffer slot per input signal so you can grab all of the counters at the same
time.  I don't see how to use RAM as a buffer, but fortunately, modern FPGAs
have lots of FFs.  (The Spartan 3 -200 has 3940.)