[time-nuts] Watches

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Dec 3 19:50:56 EST 2007

Hi Tom,

Yep, there was a weak point there, but not for the reasons you
might imagine.  The big 300 tooth wheel was a ratchet wheel
that was driven by a pair of sapphire pawls that were attached
the tuning fork by a thin springy wire.  The 300 tooth wheel directly
drove the second hand of the watch.  That is why the watch had that
velvet smooth second hand.  If the watchmaker forced the second
hand to rotate, it would bend the springy pieces of wire (not wire
actually), and that was that.

It was difficult adjusting the phase of the two ratchet pawls relative
to the teeth on the wheel.  One pawl had to be half way between a root
and a crest when the motive pawl ligned up with a crest.  A 20-30x
microscope was necessary.... that and a very steady hand.

Electrically the biggest failure item was the tuning fork coils
themselves.  The coils were wound with wire that was around #48
AWG.  It would break, or corrode at the solder joint, and the
watch would stop.  Rewinding the coils is a doable task if you can
get the wire, and you know how to deal with it.

Now days, the 1.35V mercury cells that the Accutron used are no longer
available, and the 1.5V silver oxide cells overdrive the tuning
fork, causing lots of noise, and motion problems.  Changing a resistor,
and adjusting the phase of the pawls will usually allow the use of
politically correct cells.

-Chuck Harris