[time-nuts] John Vig elected President of IEEE

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Dec 11 11:52:48 EST 2007

Star Office is a stable version of OpenOffice.org that has
support from Sun.  OpenOffice.org is the bleeding edge
development version.

OpenOffice.org appears to open it just fine, but when you look
closely, you notice that most screens overlap their page numbers,
and some table entries are larger than the space alloted.

Rob Kimberley wrote:
> I just opened this with Star Office 8 without a hitch. Star Office 8 is free
> from Google by the way using their excellent Google Pack
> http://pack.google.com/intl/en-gb/pack_installer_new.html?hl=en-gb&gl=uk&ciN
> um=11
>
> Also exported it out successfully to PDF.
>
> I'm running Windows XP, so have all the usual MS True type fonts installed.
> I'm guessing that anyone trying Open Office from a Linux distribution would
> have problems.  Free SUSE 10.3 (which I have as a dual boot on one of my
> machines) has the option to download and install the MS font set, so that
> should solve the problem. Not sure about other Linux flavours.
>
> Looks like John Vig used Arial for most of it anyway.

The problem is MS has all of their font sizes wrong.  What they call a 12 pt
is really smaller than a true 12 pt... [well, either MS has it wrong, or the
rest of the world has it wrong.]

-Chuck Harris