[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference oscilator

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Dec 11 15:56:42 EST 2007

Hal Murray wrote:
> I'm picturing an open hill top at night with clear skies so there would be
> lots of radiation cooling.  Of course, with an open hill top, GPS recption
> would be easy.

As great as GPSDO are, the problem with using them in a portable
environment is the time it takes to do a survey and then get to final
lock; mountain-toppers may not be in one place long enough.

One thought I've had is to use a cheap Rubidium for long term stability,
and phase lock a good OCXO to it for short term stability and phase
noise (ie, use a loop time constant of perhaps 100 seconds).  That would
make a portable package that would meet both the short and long term
stability requirements.

John