[time-nuts] Big Picture View

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Wed Dec 12 13:28:37 EST 2007

   As a relative newbie to the who time-nut scene, I'm still working on
   the big picture of how all the hardware fits together. I've
   successfully put together a FreeBSD box with a Garmin 18 LVC as an NTP
   server and am getting consistent microsecond accuracy. I've been
   looking at the next step of adding a stable oscillator to the system.
   I'm not seeing how to integrate this into the system.
   The way I understand it, the oscillator is there to provide a very
   stable frequency reference, regardless of the type used --> VXCO,
   rubidium, cesium, etc. What I'm not seeing is how you link the
   frequency reference to UTC. For NTP, I'm guessing that you'd have to
   sync a PPS pulse with a known time source such as GPS. Am I on the
   right track? Pointers to references appreciated.
   73, Keith