[time-nuts] Big Picture View

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Dec 12 15:50:50 EST 2007

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wrote:
> John,
> That's a good start towards answering my question. Given my set-up of
> GPS referenced NTP server, how would I integrate a frequency
> reference into the system?

You'd replace the crystal oscillator on the motherboard with a more
stable reference.  The TAPR Clock-Block
(http://www.tapr.org/kits_clock-block.html) is a synthesizer designed
for that purpose; it can take a 5 or 10 or whatever MHz input signal and
convert it to the clock frequency needed by the motherboard.

An example of doing this is at http://www.febo.com/pages/soekris where I
convert a single board computer into a very precise timekeeper using a
Clock-Block and some other hardware hacks.

John