[time-nuts] Stuff I bought

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Wed Dec 26 16:21:39 EST 2007

Brooke Clarke wrote:

> I have a Suunto wrist computer and like it very much. The normal time, date,
> alarm, stop watch functions plus compass, altimeter/barometer and thermometer.
> Which compass did you get?

I didn't get the wristwatch, The Suunto tandem is a hunk of aluminum
with a liquid filled compass and a liquid filled clinometer machined
into the case and optical sites for both.  It has a long red strap you
can hang around your neck, no electronics, no batteries...

The website is difficult to link to, click on the "precision instrument"
section.  I learned about it from a cinematographer friend.  Evidently
it's popular with film types for planning shots with the sun or moon.
You see the instrument on the Discovery Channel show Sunrise Earth, the
main photographer guy always has it hanging around his neck during
interviews.  In addition to being pretty accurate, it's the sort of
product that feels really nice in your hand, it makes you look for
excuses to use it.

jeff