[time-nuts] Stuff I bought

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Thu Dec 27 22:37:47 EST 2007

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:55:27 +0000 (GMT), Robert Atkinson <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi,
>  my holiday gift this year was a Sony PRS-505 Reader.
>  http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16184
>  This is not as off-topic as it seems, as well as books these work well with PDF's and the ePaper display uses no power except when it changes. No more printing a couple of pages of a datasheet to use at the bench, only to bin them later.
>  Unfortunatly they don't sell then outside North America (copyright issues with the books apparently)  but they do work in Europe , contary to what the store attendants tried to tell me! It will play MP3's while you read too!

Oh crap, there goes February's food budget.....

Being a card-carrying Sony hater (We give you le$$ for more, lock you into
proprietary formats and then sue your balls off), I did some quick looking and found
this page:

http://www.eink.com/products/customers_app.html

This is a list of products that use the eInk electronic paper display.  I'm just
going goo-goo for that iRex iLiad.  Reads and writes, large screen, WiFi and Ethernet
and compatible with MobiPocket formatted eBooks.  MobiPocket books for the Palm have
become somewhat of a standard.

I'm also enchanted with the Bookeen open source reader with embedded Linux.  If it
only had WiFi.

If you're unfortunate enough to live in a large city, you might want to take a look
at the Amazon Kindle.  Its most interesting feature is built-in free EVDO
connectivity.

Robert,  How does that gadget handle graphics and photos?  The eInk site says that
the display only does 4 levels of greyscale.  My main interest in a reader is to be
able to carry around my reference library so the ability to display both line art and
greyscale is important.

John
--
John De Armond