[time-nuts] NLTL comb generators going away...

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Dec 29 11:24:17 EST 2007

An SRD imposes a phase noise floor that adds to the source's phase
noise floor and the multiplier's input noise floor.  Whatever this
total noise is will be increased by 20 LOG N.  Unless the source
is very low noise and the multiplier equivalent input noise is
very low, you may not see any effects from the SRD.  At Agilent
we didn't have to worry about SRD noise until exotic sources
like the STW were developed.

In the case you site, the source noise was 6 dB below the
equivalent input noise  of the source, resulting in a 1 dB increase
in total noise.  An SRD may or may not have been worse depending
on what the actual noise floor was.

Rick