[time-nuts] Thunderbolt - Hardware Versions - Performance& Differenences

TheInfamousFlavio at hotmail.com TheInfamousFlavio at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 17 12:13:16 EST 2007

**That's a big problem if there is no power conditioning board. ** The DC-DC
converter is very expensive itself and there is A LOT of filtering before it
AND that's all after a DC input!!!  I saw somebody suggested a cheap
switching power supply as a power source, but that will not be sufficient.

There is a reason for an expensive DC-DC converter and all that filtering...
"Garbage in, Garbage out".   The precision of the circuitry, antenna, 10Mhz
and cpu all require a very clean and stable power source for good
performance.  Anyone who knows switching power supplies will know that they
are sensitive and noisy.  They are cheap and small but not good  enough to
feed directly into the processor board.  The DC-DC stabilizes the input
signal, switching power supplies, especially the cheap ones, are extremely
sensitive the power anomalies on the input side and load variation on the
output side (like the OCXO oven turning on and off).

Take a look at the Z3801A's power conditioning board, that's after the dc
input! Take look at all the conditioning that the other Thunderbolt board on
ebay has on it (which is more than a regular Thunderbolt too).  There is a
reason for that...clean and stable power to all the components.

That's why the industrial versions of the Thunderbolts like the Z3801A clone
have more filtering and higher quality parts then your standard Thunderbolt.
.the cleaner the power, the better the performance i.e. "Garbage in,
garbage out".

I just feel sorry for that person  who has already bid on the one for $250.

After realizing the whole power conditioning board is gone, the price I'm
willing to pay has gone down to $50-$75 even with the splitter and pretty
cables.