[time-nuts] SRS SR620 External Source Issue -- Help Request

Robert Crawford avitek at wwnet.net
Thu Feb 22 11:58:19 EST 2007

Flavio,

Your experience exactly parallels my surprise and disappointment when I
bought my first SR620.  In fact, that's why I bought my second one: I
just couldn't believe the results, even though it had been freshly
calibrated by the factory.

However, the Specifications on page vii of the manual tells the story.
The Frequency Error is listed as "< +/- ((100 ps typ) [350 ps max])/Gate
+ Timebase Error) x Frequency".  If you make timebase error zero and use
a 1 second gate, for a 10 MHz signal you get +/- 0.001 Hz, or +/- 0.0035
Hz max.  For a 0.1 second gate, the typical error goes up to 0.01 Hz,
which is exactly what you are seeing.

I haven't played with the CALBYTE 4 value since I sent both of mine to
SRS for calibration.  If I remember right you need to move a jumper
inside the unit to enable adjustment of this value, and I didn't want to
break the factory calibration stickers.  I thought this was simply the
internal time base frequency adjustment.

Bob Crawford