[time-nuts] Low noise frequency multiplication

Stephan Sandenbergh stephan at rrsg.ee.uct.ac.za
Wed Feb 28 19:36:57 EST 2007

Hi Rick,

You are absolutely right - I should've mentioned the specs first.

It is an Oscilloqaurtz 8788 locked to GPS.

 Phase noise at 10MHz:
		Hz		dBc/Hz
		1		-100
		10		-130
		100		-152
		1e3		-160
		1e4		-165
		1e5		-165
		1e6  		-165

Allan dev: < 1.10e-12 (not locked)

I suspect that it shouldn't be too hard to preserve these specs. (that is
apart from the obvious 20dBc/Hz increase due to the 10x multiplication).

Noise floor is of importance since I'm clocking ADCs and DDSs. These are
affected by high frequency jitter. I've got more than one of these
crystals/ADCs/DDSs which I would like to keep reasonably synced (the reason
for the common-view GPS) so the longer time scales are also important.

I just noted that the noise level of that diode multiplier in the previously
mentioned article is way below that of my OCXO. From there my curiosity.

I agree that phase-locking to 100MHz oscillator is the best way to go, but
as a first iteration multiplication is a good start.

Judging by your reply the x2 and x5 approach should probably be avoided?

Regards,

Stephan.