[time-nuts] Interesting white elephant on *bay

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Tue Jan 2 01:41:23 EST 2007

	I recognize the tags. That thing is ex-Boeing. Probably from the military electronics division.

	I believe I can say, with confidence, that the unit is probably good only as a curiosity in its current condition. The mil-electronics division, like all other Boeing div's, has very strict rules about decommissioning electronics that are headed for surplus. I know, because I spent four good years on the Defense & Space side.

	The connector on the front is interesting. The designation it bears reminds me of the nomenclatures assigned to military encryption devices (which are certainly NOT going to easily show up at surplus).

	Anyway... I don't see it being worth $800 in any case. $80, maybe, if it's got some good parts. I took a moment to look over the rest of the guy's listings, and what I found was, to my eyes, a severe case of what I call "optimistic overpricing." It is an unfortunate affliction that affects many surplus dealers who have limited knowledge of electronic equipment, yet try to sell it.

	Keep the peace(es).