[time-nuts] Bad batch of HP10811's

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Jan 14 18:45:31 EST 2007

I'll apolgize on behalf of HP for putting in that stupid thermal
fuse.  It cannot be soldered in for the obvious reason that the
soldering temperature exceeds the fusing temperature.  Therefore,
it must be socketed.  It does NOT have gold plated leads, and
hence the reliability of the contact with the socket is poor.
I think the reason for it was that if the oven ran away, the
thermal foam would burn up and out-gas toxic fumes.  Ovens very
rarely run away.

The unit that is 500 Hz off is not due to a cold oven.  There isn't
that much tempco in the crystal.

Rick Karlquist N6RK