[time-nuts] Giove A has become "official" now.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jan 15 10:19:34 EST 2007

In message <20070115.155958.-1300548332.cfmd at bredband.net>, Magnus Danielson wr
ites:

>> The 1EUR per receiver fee is not decided and if it was, it would be
>> pointless, because there is no way to enforce and it would never
>> amount to enough money to matter anyway.
>
>I agree it would be rather pointless, but at least for some manufactures it
>would/could be a limiting factor and unnecessary hazzle.

Sure, but what would it pay for Galileo ?  10MEUR ?  Not anything that
really matters.

>The best thing would be for them to forget about the whole license thing and
>remove that from their specs.

Yes, indeed.  And if they want the sats up there, they'll have to.

>> Actually, I think the "value add" of the subscription service is
>> another signal one second later saying "the data for last second
>> was received correct at our monitoring station, so you can rely
>> on it".
>
>Now, there is a value added service indeed. But that is beyond that of the
>open service.

Sure, sounds nice on paper, but who will pay for it ?

I think 40% of the operational expense are supposed to be paid by
this fee, and with an budgeted operational cost of $202.5 MEUR (from
ERNP draft) and given that I havn't been able to nail down one
single potential and willing subscriber yet, that sounds like the
old joke about mathematical proofs:

	1. (terribly complicated formula).

	2. Then a miracle happens

	3. QED.