[time-nuts] Giove A has become "official" now.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jan 15 12:17:18 EST 2007

In message <008601c738c7$a6305060$0a00a8c0 at Inspiron>, "Jason Rabel" writes:

>XM & Sirrius radio relied on a subscriber model, that nobody thought would
>work since local FM stations were free to listen to. I know this isn't an
>apples-to-apples comparison, but people thought that those satellite
>subscription services would bomb too.

I'm not saying that the subscription based service will bomb, I'm
just wondering where all the subscribers are going to come from.

When XM and Sirrius went public with their ideas, a lot of people
said "I want that because shortwave sucks here" and stuff like that.
Not enough people to instantly make good on the businesscase, but
enough to show that it was not stillborn.

I have seen zero, zilch, none, nada users who says "I want to pay for
that" about the Galileo subscription service.

The only things I have seen are "these (tax-funded) services are
potential users".