[time-nuts] OT: RoHS crap

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Jan 15 15:01:04 EST 2007

It goes back to something I noticed at an early age, albeit not early
enough: if you're a young kid just entering university and you want to wield
any *real* power in the world, you should become an environmental scientist,
not a politician or a lawyer or a CEO.  There is essentially no burden of
proof in that business, and the only tools you need are sound bites and
guilty feelings.  Only a televangelist has a cushier job, intellectually
speaking.

If we applied their methodology to any other field of endeavor, our planes
wouldn't fly, our bridges would collapse, and our computers would still
require their own electrical substations.  The trouble with RoHS, of course,
is that it threatens exactly that kind of scenario, as we all discover just
how important those cheap, non-exempt commodity devices are to everyday
life.

-- john, KE5FX